Allowing Channel Contributors to send emails to the audiences of their channels is a great way to expand their ability to reach their users. Email can reach users that are not yet registered, sharing your content with a wider audience.
How to Open Up Connect to Channel Contributors
Channel Contributor access to Connect is an optional program setting. Before enabling this setting, we recommend making several decisions around exactly what Channel Contributor access will look like for your program.
Your SocialChorus Engagement Manager can answer questions about feature availability for your program.
When you start to establish a plan for access, you'll need to consider several items. Our team is happy to collaborate on this plan. Some sample questions to ask yourself about each communicator:
- Audience: What audience/groups will this communicator need to reach? Just the followers of their assigned channels, or everyone targeted by their channel?
- Endpoints: Does this communicator need to send emails/newsletters or just publish and promote content? If they need to send emails, which templates do they need? Which sender addresses?
- Content: What types of content will this communicator and/or person be responsible for? Would the ability to aggregate content in a newsletter benefit this Channel Contributor and their audience? Should they be able to designate other Studio users as "Author"?
When you feel ready to expand Channel Contributor functionality, these are the items we need:
- Confirm that you would like to enable Channel Contributor access to Connect.
- Specify which email templates you would like to make available to Channel Contributors.
- Confirm that you will have at least one Sender address associated with all Channel Contributor channels before the expanded access is enabled. Pro-tip: edit the Default Sender to work for 'All Channels' - this will assure at least one Sender is available to all Channel Contributors.
- Confirm if you would like to also expand Channel Contributor access to their targeted channel audiences.
- Confirm if you would like to also expand Channel Contributor access to publish as other authors.
- What is your desired timing to enable the functionality?
You should also Confirm that you have at least one Sender address associated with all Channel Contributor channels before the expanded access is enabled. Pro-tip: edit the Default Sender to work for 'All Channels' - this will assure at least one Sender is available to all Channel Contributors.
Our article on Permissions outlines exactly what Channel Contributors can or cannot do in the platform, the details below dive into exactly what the permissions look like in the Connect section.
Channel Contributors can always target the users that have subscribed (or "followed" or "joined") their assigned channels.
If enabled, your Channel Contributors can also target all users targeted by their assigned channels. This opens up one additional group for every targeted channel - and the new "targeted audience" group does not appear on Groups page, only when targeting a campaign. If the Channel Contributor has been assigned an untargeted channel, they can only target a campaign to subscribed users. The audience options are the same in both Smart Campaigns and Connect.
Channel Contributors can see other campaigns created by other Studio users if the campaigns are targeted to audiences that the Channel Contributor has access to.
Each program must specify which templates are available to Channel Contributors. Any template made available to Channel Contributors is available to all Channel Contributors. We recommend providing access to newsletters and custom email templates.
We can also grant access push notification templates, though we recommend leveraging Smart Campaigns instead of opening up access to push notification templates.
The Channel Contributors access to Sender addresses in Connect works exactly like the Sender addresses for Smart Campaigns. Channel Contributors are able to specify a Sender that has been associated with their assigned channels.
Note, if a Contributor does not have access to any senders, they will see a message after creating a campaign indicating that an administrator needs to grant them access. Contributors will not be able to activate any campaigns without a sender. Please make sure that all Channel Contributors have access to at least one sender.
When editing an email or push notification to link to content, Channel Contributors can only choose content that is associated with their assigned channels. This aligns with how content access works in Planner.
Channel Contributors have no access to Analyze. Channel Contributors can see some high-level metrics on the Connect page, which is looking at the same data source as Analyze.
Channel Contributors can only see campaigns that are exclusively targeted to their assigned channel audience. This means that they can see campaigns created by other Studio users, but only if they are exclusively targeted to their assigned channel audience. If assigned to more than one audience, the campaign will be invisible to them.
Administrators and Program Managers can see all campaigns created by Channel Contributors.
Channel Contributor Support
Newly promoted Channel Contributors can start with our Getting Started guide.
Channel Contributors that only need details on how to create emails through Connect can refer to our Create an Email Campaign article.