Attributes are pieces of information about your users that can be used to define membership in groups. Groups are the cornerstone of targeting the right information to the right people, as outlined in the article about how to use groups.
There is some information that we know about your users simply because they are part of the program. For example, are they registered? Do they access the program through Android, iOS, or web?
To take personalization to the next level, if you have an SSO or SFTP deployment you can provide additional information about your users in the form of group attributes:
- CSV via SFTP - Specify certain attributes as group attributes when configuring your SFTP deployment.
- SSO SAML - All attributes passed via a SAML claim attribute statement will be processed as group attributes, including first name, last name, and email.
Once you send group attributes to Firstup, we can generate groups for you automatically or you can create groups yourself. More details below.
Group Attribute Handling
All group attributes will be available as custom attribute criteria when creating custom groups (including country, department, title, and 'groups'), whether creating a basic custom group or advanced custom group.
Group Attribute Recommendations
Not all attributes are useful for creating groups. Before sending a group attribute, ask:
- Will there be at least two groups for this attribute?
- Will there be more than one person in each group?
- Does our content strategy include targeting these groups?
These attributes are so common that we can easily map them to filters in Analyze and use them for groups. However, you should still ask if this information will result in useful information for your program and your strategy.
- Work Location
- Job Title
The following attributes can be helpful for group creation depending on your organization and content strategy.
- Manager (Yes/No)
- Start Date - by Month/Year
- Birthdate - by Month
- Employee Type (Contractor, Full-Time vs Part-Time, Union)
We recommend against sending the following because this data is too specific to create useful groups. For example, there is no useful way to group users by phone number - each phone number would have a group with a count of one user. Very few people would be in a group for "birthdate 1/1/1990". We recommend passing any dates as just a month or month/year.
- Display Name
- Phone Number
- Home Address