A push notification is a type of campaign that is sent to the mobile device of your users that have installed your mobile app and allowed notifications. Push notifications can be used to communicate urgent messages, key highlights, upcoming events, and announcements, even when a user is not actively using your mobile app.
You have the following options for creating and sending push notifications through Program Studio:
- Schedule a Smart Campaign while creating or editing a post on the Planner page:
- Create a push notification on the Campaigns page as outlined in this article:
Push notifications are great for communicating with users that have installed and signed into the mobile app. However, if you have users that do not use the mobile app because they have not registered yet or they are receiving content via other end points such as the web experience or Content Amplifiers, please check out email campaigns.
How to Create a New Push Notification from Campaigns page
- Open the Campaigns page under Connect.
- Click the Create Campaign button.
- Select a template and click Choose.
- Type the name of your campaign and click Continue.
- Customize and preview your push notification message.
- Click the iOS and Android icons to preview the notification across different platforms.
- Include emojis in your push notification.
- Click on the variables button (gear icon) to include your program hashtag, program name, or the user's name. For example, if you choose First Name, we will pull in the first name from each user's profile (if available) and display it in their push notification.
- Deep Link (optional): have the push notification link to a specific part of the mobile app using a Deep Link. Click Deep Link on the right and choose what to link to - a specific post*, channel, or other location - including Explore, Bookmarks, Highlights (Featured content), Submit, or User Profile. If linking to a post, search using words from the title or description. The posts are listed by Scheduled Date and Published Date.
*On mobile app version 3.6.0+, push notifications that are deep-linked to Articles will take users directly to the full Article body, so they can start reading a post right away. Deep linked push notifications to all other content types will take users to the outside of the content card.
- Select your audience. Target your push notification campaign to specific groups by clicking on Send To.
- No recipients are assigned by default. You can send a campaign to all users, a single group, or multiple groups.
- After completing your selection, you will see the user count in the Send To section update to reflect the number of users in your selected group(s).
- Click Deliver to schedule your campaign for a later date and time, or add a recurring schedule to send it more than once.
The time you select will be set in the same time zone as your device. The campaign will be sent out only once, at the time selected. For example, if you choose 9am Eastern the campaign will go out at 9am Eastern/6am Pacific.
- Click Create Test Notification to test the campaign. Type in your email or the email of a colleague and click Send. This will send one time immediately without activating or saving your campaign.
- Save, Activate, or Send the campaign.
- Save Draft will put the campaign under drafts for further review later. Even if the campaign has been scheduled, it will not be sent out until the campaign is activated.
- Activate or Send Now will send the campaign at the scheduled time (immediately or at a later time).
How to Copy of an Existing Push Notification
- Open the Campaigns page under Connect.
- Click the ellipsis button next to an already created campaign under one of the status tabs - Active, Paused, Completed, or Draft.
- From the options menu, select Copy.
- A new Campaign Editor will open with an exact replica of the campaign you cloned. Any text, images, or content customized in the previous campaign will be copied over to the new campaign. The campaign will automatically be named “Copy of [Original Campaign Name].”
- Finish editing and send your campaign by following steps 5-10 in how to create a new push notification.