A push notification is a type of campaign that is sent to the mobile device of your users that have installed your mobile app and allowed notifications. Push notifications can be used to communicate urgent messages, key highlights, upcoming events, and announcements, even when a user is not actively using your mobile app.
You have two options for creating and sending Push Notifications through Program Studio:
- Schedule a Smart Campaign while creating or editing a post on the Content page to announce, promote, or require users to engage with a specific post.
- Create a New Push Notification from Template on the Campaigns page.
- Templates include a blank "custom push notification", a push targeted to users that just joined, a push to welcome users to the mobile app, and a push to thank your top advocates, etc.
How to Create a Push Notification from Template
- Open the Campaigns page under Connect.
- Click the Create Campaign button.
- Select a template and click Choose.
- Type the name of your campaign and click Start Campaign.
- Customize and preview your push notification message.
- Click the iOS and Android icons to preview the notification across different platforms.
- Include emojis in your push notification.
- Click on the variables button (gear icon) to include your program hashtag, program name, or the user's name. For example, if you choose First Name, we will pull in the first name from each user's profile (if available) and display it in their push notification.
- Deep Link (optional): have the push notification link to a specific part of the mobile app using a Deep Link. Click Deep Link on the right and choose what to link to - a specific post*, channel, or other location - including Explore, Bookmarks, Highlights, Submit, or User Profile. If linking to a post, search using words from the title or description. The posts are listed by Scheduled Date and Published Date.
*On mobile app version 3.6.0+, push notifications that are deep-linked to Articles will take users directly to the full Article body, so they can start reading a post right away. Deep linked push notifications to all other content types will take users to the outside of the content card.
- Target your push notification campaign to specific groups by clicking on Send To.
- You can send a campaign to all users, a single group, or multiple groups.
- After completing your selection, you will see the user count in the Send To section update to reflect the number of users in your selected group(s).
- Click Deliver to schedule your campaign for a later date and time, or add a recurring schedule to send it more than once.
- Click Create Test Notification to test the campaign. Type in your email or the email of a colleague and click Send. This will send one time immediately without activating or saving your campaign.
- Send, Activate, or Save the campaign.
- Send Now sends the push notification immediately.
- Activate schedules a push notification.
- Alternatively, Save Draft will put the push notification under drafts for further review later - even if it has been scheduled, it will not be sent out.