Many social media users watch a video with no audio, and some of your users may not be able to hear at all. Expand the reach of your videos on web and iOS by adding captions! Captions are not supported in the Android mobile app.
Once a video post has closed captioning, users can select the CC button to turn on the captions. The CC button appears anywhere the video appears, even if you embed the video.
Add a Caption to a Video Post
- Create a new post, choose content type Video, then upload a video file such as MP4 or MOV. Or, edit an existing video post that was created from video file. Studio cannot be used to add captions to videos pulled in via link, such as Youtube, Vimeo, or Kaltura link.
- After the video is done processing, select Add Closed Caption.
- Select a valid closed caption file in SRT or VTT format. The file must contain timestamps for every subtitle. The captions can be in any language that can be encoded in UTF-8.
- Wait for the video to process again.
- Once processing is complete, you will see a preview of the caption below the video with a note about the detected language ("en" for English). You can play the video preview to see the captions in action and confirm that they have lined up correctly with the visuals.
- Click Publish or Save Draft to save your captions.
You can remove captions from a video by selecting Remove Caption. The video will process again to remove the closed captioning. Once complete, you can upload new captions or publish the post without captions.